Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 2 Bonnyton Thistle 1

Saturday 14th November 2020 - PDM Buildbase WoSFL Premier Division

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Glencairn recorded their first ever win as a senior club as they came from behind to grind out three points against Bonnyton Thistle at Hamish B. Allan Stadium. It was also the first ever senior home game for the club, and the occasion was marked as the team wore their new strips for the first time.

There was only one change to the starting line-up with Scott Schoneville now free from suspension, and he replaced Craig McGregor with captain Tam Miller moving back into a more central role in the back line.

The match started off in cagey fashion with little in the way of clear goalmouth incidents, Miller firing well over the bar after five minutes being the only real attempt on goal in the early stages. Bonnyton responded a couple of minutes later with a shot by Kris Mitchell which slipped a yard wide of the post. Miller was forced to leave the field after a clash of heads left him unable to continue, so McGregor was brought on to restore the central defensive trio to the same as last week.

Harry Mitchell almost opened the scoring for Glencairn in the 12th minute as he robbed the ball from Kyle Gilroy and curled a shot which slipped inches wide of the left hand post. Bonnyton went even closer two minutes later when Gilroy burst down the right and then squared across goal where the ball just had too much pace for Jackson Sivewright to convert.

The Glens should have been in front after 21 minutes when a ball over the top of defender Callum Walsh saw Jay McKay with only goalkeeper Scott Johnson to beat. McKay tried to dribble round Johnson, and the young stopper did brillliantly to claw the ball away from the striker's feet.

A lovely passing move in the 24th minute involving Jackson Biggar, Harry Mitchell and Liam Gormley ended with the latter skipping into the penalty area and squaring across goal, but McKay couldn't connect with the ball as it flew to safety for the visitors.

Kristofer Brown was yellow carded for Bonnyton as he took two separate nibbles at McKay who was running across the centre circle.

Glencairn's efforts towards goal were somewhat laboured in the first half, with Harry Mitchell firing over the bar and then pulling a save out of Johnson with a header on the stretch.

David Stevenson replaced Rhys Wallace for Thistle in another early injury substitution, one for each side now.

The deadlock was broken four minutes before half time as Kris Mitchell's free kick was met by the free head of Callum Walsh, and he nodded past Garry Whyte from close range to put Bonnyton 1-0 ahead.

There were shouts for a penalty for Bonnyton in first half stoppage time as Gilroy's cross was blocked by Mick O'Byrne, but the referee ignored the shouts for handball.

Half time : 0-1